There are days when you get home and just don’t have the energy, and sometimes even the time, to cook. Often, we instead turn to the microwave for something we can quickly heat up and eat, but there are times when the meals just don’t leave much of an impression. With that in mind, here are a few microwavable meals you can easily cook up so you can still enjoy your food on those tiring days.
Ingredients: 1 egg / 3 tablespoons of cold water / salt / a dash of vinegar
2. Pierce the yolk and white in a couple of places.
3. Cover your mug or bowl with a microwaveable safe plate and microwave on high for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
4. If the egg white is still runny, keep microwaving in ten-second intervals until you’re happy.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients: 450 grams of ground beef / 1- ½ teaspoons of prepared mustard or 2 teaspoons of cumin / 1 medium onion (finely chopped) / 1 can of kidney beans (450 grams, rinsed and drained) / 2 cans of tinned tomatoes / 2 teaspoons of chilli powder / salt and pepper (optional)
1. Crumble the ground beef into a microwaveable safe bowl, add the chopped onions and mix well.
2. Cover the bowl and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes until the meat is no longer pink.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, chilli powder and mustard or cumin (depending on your choice), mixing everything well.
5. Cover the microwave and cook for 6 ½ minutes.
6. Add kidney beans and mix well.
7. Cover and cook for a further 2 minutes.
8. Add salt and pepper, and any toppings such as cheddar cheese and enjoy.
Ingredients: 75 grams of macaroni or shell pasta / 120ml of water / ¼ teaspoons of salt / 60ml of milk / 32 to 75 grams of grated cheese / fresh chive (optional)
1. Mix pasta, water and salt in a microwavable cup or bowl.
2. Stir throughly to combine.
3. Microwave the pasta for 2-3 minutes at high power, then stir. You can repeat this method and wait between each interval until the pasta is soft and cooked depending on your microwave’s power.
4. Once done, stir the milk and cheese into the pasta. You can add some salt and pepper now if you like.
5. Microwave for a further 30 seconds, stir and then garnish if you want chives.
6. If the cheese isn’t melted to your liking, continue to microwave.
If you fancy a sweet treat made in the microwave, check out our Making Yummy Mug Cakes article.
We recommend giving each of these a try and see how you like them. If you don’t have a microwave, however, we have you covered in our extensive selection. Also, why not browse our full Cooking and Dining Department while you’re here?